Monday, March 7, 2011

My True Love Story

Every time I hit "publish post" it's a little scary. There's a piece of me out there. Well, today there's going to be a chunk of my heart and a wisp of my soul. I had a stroke of brilliance over the weekend. I'm going to tell the story of Ryan Edward and I. The true story. Better than journal entries. I'm going to tell it like you were reading it from a book. I'm going to put a new chunk of heart and wisp of soul out there every Monday... because Mondays need something like this.
My True Love Story

Day One

I’m so nervous. I can’t believe I’m the new girl again. Two years ago, we moved away from Ferron, Utah. We relocated because of my Dad’s job. Then my Dad got the opportunity to transfer back to his job and just like that, I’m the new girl again. Only not entirely the new girl. There is even more mystery attached to me. I’m the new, old girl. The one they knew before. They’re searching their memories. They’re trying to remember what I was like. They’re wondering, I know. Wondering what I’ve been doing in the last two years. How those two years have changed me. I moved at the end of our sixth grade year. I left during the transition. Everyone was moving up to Jr. High School, getting used to new schedules, new cliques, puberty, heck, we were getting used to actually caring what clothes we put on. I left when a phone call from a boy was the most terrifying thing that had ever happened to me, and now boys and girls my age were kissing each other. I’ve almost gotten used to all of that, but I had also gotten used to a new town, to new people. I was used to walking to Mike’s Food Town and getting tater babies for lunch. I was used to 4-H camp and summer plays. I was used to my group of friends and the way people lovingly referred to us as “The Herd”. I had a boyfriend and a couple of other guys that I liked too. What? I’ve only just finished 8th grade, it’s not like I’m married yet. You know the terrifying phone call I referred to from the sixth grade boy? He was my “boyfriend”. I know. I know. Why do we have boyfriends in elementary school? It was all very innocent. There had been notes exchanged, with well thought out things like “I ♥ you” on them, and the phone call certainly couldn’t be described as a phone conversation because I was much too afraid to contribute to it in any significant way. I was equally brave when we broke up. I stood there, probably biting a fingernail, while my friends told him that I was moving and I nodded to confirm. That was our elementary school break up… and now I’m back. They’re wondering, I know. In the last two years I’ve had my heart broken. I’ve gotten used to talking on the phone to boys. I’ve gotten rather fond of holding a boy’s hand. I’ve even turned down a first kiss opportunity. He was cute too. But I’m not interested in any of that now. I’d just like to redefine normal somehow. I guess I’ll start with church. That’s where I am now. I’m sitting in the first meeting of a three hour block of church, feeling the eyes of the congregation on the new girl. They’re wondering, I know. Four rows in front of me, I see a boy I recognize. Ryan. Strange that I didn’t know him better, two kids the same age in the same small town. We just hadn’t been in any of the same classes. I only knew what I could gather from across a playground. Blond hair. Blue eyes. Tan skin. Athletic. Full of enthusiasm. A people magnet. After the meeting he finds me and he doesn’t miss a beat. “So… Amie Gee is back,” he says to me in the foyer of the church building. “That’s right,” I say, pretending that I’m not feeling shy. You know I was P’s best friend when you lived here before, right?” P. was the boyfriend behind the terrifying 6th grade phone call. “I remember you,” I answer, “I’ve actually had the thought that I wished I had known you better.” “Clearly you don’t remember my heroics during the painful time in 1st grade when S. stole your pink coat.” My smile shows skepticism. “You did wear a pink coat in the first grade. Didn’t you?” He asks as if he is getting to the bottom of an investigation. “Yeah, I guess I did. I seem to remember that it had white fur around the hood.” “Oh yes. Your precious, furry hooded pink coat was once stolen by S. and thrown into the school dumpster and I… well, I hate to brag…” I have a feeling he doesn’t hate to brag. “…I took it upon myself to climb into the treacherous dumpster and get your coat back for you. It was no small feat.” “Wow. I can’t believe that I have forgotten this touching story.” “Well… you know how first grade is. It’s thankless.” I laugh. We can’t stop smiling at each other, with that certain smile that’s different from all of the other smiles. Interest. Chemistry. Could it be that in this town that I moved away from and then moved back to- could it be that there are guys like this here as well? Guys with the confidence of M? Guys that make me laugh like J did? Guys that make me want to be a better person, and guys that make me feel like I am better than I thought I was. This Ryan is a culmination of some of my favorite qualities in some of my favorite people from the town where my heart still lives.

17 comments:

Emily said...

Brought a lovely touch to my Monday morning :)

Jodi Lee Music said...

Great memories! This post made me SMILE!

Tanner and Kristin said...

I thought the world was going to end when you moved away! It broke this 6th grader's heart :) So glad it was only two years! I love the story of Ryan dumpster-diving for your pink coat in 1st grade. That is true love. You two were always meant to be...even if "P" and some other-unnameds got in the way for a short period of time ;)

Unknown said...

So cute! I can't wait to read more!

Heidi Lyn Panter said...

This was so fun to read! It reminded me of when I lived in Ferron and we made "boyfriends" out of blankets by tying knots in them to make a head, arms, and legs! Mine was always "B" and yours was always "P". So funny! Good thing we found our true Prince Charmings in the end!

Amie said...

Kris- I have you to thank for making that move back comfortable and then fun. :) Truly a best friend.

Heidi- Ahhh... they say you never get over the first fake boyfriend you make for yourself out of a blanket. I know that's true for me.

Jess said...

i love that you can write like this about something that happened when you were so young :) great detail

Mike and Sonila Wood said...

This is so adorable Amie. I cannot wait to read more.

Thanks for sharing.

P.S. It's better than a book

Emily said...

Oh, sweet memories!

Shonni said...

Loved it! Brought back so many memories about M. and J. lol! I can't wait to read more!

Unknown said...

What a cute idea! It's so fun to get to flash back to this age and imagine this happening in a world I'm so familiar with. It's a bit surreal. (Ah, I kind of was trying to forget Jr high. :P)

*Kelly Dawn* said...

I got wrapped up in you story! I have AFV going in the back ground, listening as I browes and now I have to rewind it to watch what I just missed because I heard nothing else while I read your story! Thanks for the little escape!

Amie said...

Shonni- I LOVE that you came and read it! Thank you! I asked my brother, Justin, if he thought it was okay that I gave first initials. Then I read him the last few sentences and he started to laugh. He said, "There's going to be no question who you're talking about." That's okay. I don't have anything bad to say about them. :)

Nisa- a lot of junior high memories are going to get conveniently lost in the editing! ;)

Kelly- Thank you! I love that I can distract someone from a great show like AFV!

Amy said...

see, and now I am sucked in!!!

Ashley said...

I still remember well the time when you and Ryan gave a fireside and talked about your dating experiences. I remember looking up to both of you and thinking you were a great couple back then. I even remember some of the funny things that you said in those talks. Thanks for sharing, I don't know Ryan well, but I know that he comes from a great family. Frances was always so good to my mom in Ferron. She was really sad when they moved away.

Lauren Howell said...

I can't stop! So this is whats going to happen if i keep reading your blog! But hey, thats a good sign. Is this really going to happen when I get older? Just kidding. I love this!

Fran and LaVar said...

Well, Amie, you surely captivated me with this love story! You truly know how to get our attention with your writing styles. Such talent! Because I was a volunteer in the classrooms at Ferron Elementary for 12 continuous years (some of the students thought I was on the payroll! hehe)I vividly remember you and Ryan there as students. Do you remember all those cute dresses you wore to school? Also, what a natural you were in the track meets in the spring? What a winner you were and still are!!