Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Candy and Codeine


I've been sick for so long that I don't remember what it feels like to be well. I miss it, I know that much. I miss taking an easy breath, laughing without faltering into a coughing fit. Despite sickness, Christmas was really great. I got to do my favorite thing: spoil my kids with time together and presents.

I went to the Doctor yesterday and finally got a prescription. I was so eager to start getting better that I quickly took the first doses of the antibiotic and the cough syrup.... the cough syrup with codeine. Great way to kick off New Year's Eve celebrations, let me tell you. By the time we went to an early dinner with friends I was feeling tingly all over and my head seemed to be floating a couple of inches off of my neck. I hope I didn't reveal to much information about our private life when we played the Newlywed game, it's all a little fuzzy, but I know at one point I used the word, "whoopie".

We got home later than we thought, and our poor kids were waiting for us. The youngest had already fallen asleep. I was in such a stupor and such a hurry at the same time, that on the way in, I slipped on a patch of ice and fell right down. The green salad I had taken to dinner flew into the air and fell around me like a rabbit food rainstorm. The writing was on the wall. I was snug in bed by 10:30, greeting the new year with codeine induced dreams by midnight.

New theory: we should all bring in the new year on New Year's morning after we've woken from a good night's rest! Our family has been really happy all day! We ate all of the snacks, played games, watched movies, and had Chinese food. The only downfall was that I put off the start of my new "healthy lifestyle change".

Tomorrow is another day. Technically today is a holiday and it's just sick and wrong to start a healthy lifestyle on a holiday. I know we've heard it all before, and I've been here before, but here's the pep talk. Eating right and exercising go hand in hand with everything else that's healthy in life. Religion, confidence, friendship, "whoopie"... a mind free of codeine. I think all of life improves with diet and exercise. I have new motivation. My first ever weight loss competition. My competitive nature has been dulled somewhat by motherhood. Too many years letting young ones win. :) It will be fun to see how playing for a reward more motivational than being first to reach "King Candy" effects me. I just realized the irony that even my board games revolve around candy.
I gotta get outta here!!!

 

No comments: